CAN A FOOT MASSAGE CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOR THE BETTER?
Treat your feet like a Queen ✨
As we continue our series of powerful rituals, today we're learning about another self-massage, but this time we're moving towards the earth and tackling one of the most forgotten parts of the body (but oh-so-important) the feet!
In the Veda* (*an important series of ancient texts originating from India), the feet are referred to as “organs of action.” They are the body’s foundation, structured to support its weight and provide a mobile platform in a variety of terrains. Just imagine: if the foundation of a house is weak, stressed, or unhealthy, the entire structure begins to buckle. In the same way, problems in our feet can creep into other parts of the body and weaken our overall health and sense of well-being.
According to Ayurveda, the feet contain reflex points that link to all the organs and other parts of the body. And even though they’re a hot spot for pain and discomfort (each foot houses 26 bones, 33 joints, and over 7,000 nerves!!), they’re also an effective part of the body to aim for to treat yourself back to health and equanimity.
Just imagine that your feet are a mirror for the rest of your body: for example, the big toe is connected to the brain. The tip of the big toe corresponds to the pineal gland, the pad of the big toe corresponds to the pituitary gland and the neck of the big toe corresponds to the thyroid. How cool is that!
The cushion at the root of the toes is connected to the lungs. The middle portion of the sole is related to the pancreas, and the heel is related to the sciatic nerve. So in other words, by activating these corresponding reflex points (aka by massaging these areas) we can help fortify the health and strength of these organs and glands.
A self-administered foot massage can also balance the doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) and activate the body’s natural immune response. Who knew a simple 10 minutes foot massage could be so powerful!
How To Give Yourself An Ayurvedic Foot Massage
To perfect the practice of an Ayurvedic foot massage, start by soaking your feet in a warm bath filled with your choice of our WILD GRACE body oil
(if you don't know about your doshas, please fill out the dosha quiz here
). After a few minutes, dry your feet and apply a very generous amount of WILD GRACE BODY OIL
to one foot and start your Ayurvedic massage.
THE FOOT MASSAGE STEP BY STEP:
- Massage the ankle and lower calf area, using your fingers and thumbs to apply firm but comfortable pressure in downward strokes
- Massage the area just below your ankle, using circular strokes under the ankle bone.
- Move to your toes and gently massage each toe, beginning with the small toe and working your way toward the largest toe. Be sure to apply massaging motion to the area between the toes with your thumb and forefinger.
- When you get to your big toe, used your fingers to pull it away from the others, and gently stretch and loosen the muscles. Then go back and it do for the other four toes.
- Use your thumbs to apply firm pressure to the toe pads and ball of the foot and then use long strokes all along the sole of the foot. You can do this by bending your leg and placing your ankle on the opposite leg so your foot is facing upward.
- Continue using your thumbs and apply firm pressure and circular motion to the arch of the foot and the heel.
- Intertwine your fingers with your toes and gently rotate your foot in a clockwise and then counterclockwise direction to loosen up the ankle and leg muscles.
- Finish by rubbing the sole of the foot once more before using your palm to slap the area, which is thought to increase circulation.
- Repeat the same steps on the opposite foot.
- If desired, you can finish with an additional salt foot soak to further draw out stress and toxins from the feet.
This massage is best practice at night before going to bed in order to let the oil really penetrate your feet (and let the potent ingredients do their magic) and mostly to allow the body to rest with a good night's sleep.
Don't forget if you need help finding the right oil for you, don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com,
we strive on getting to know our valued customers and supporting you on your journey to a wonderful and glowing life!
With Love, KIM XX
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.